Three British schoolgirls have escaped the clutches of ISIS and are on the run in Iraq, it was claimed last night.
The girls, thought to be 16, are said to have gone on the run from the extremists, sparking a frantic bid to track them down by the brutal militants, a source within the ISIS-controlled city of Mosul revealed.
The exact identity of the girls and their fate is not known, but their reported ages match those of the three friends from east London, who ran away to join ISIS in February.
Shamima Begum, Amira Abase and Kadiza Sultana - who were all pupils at Bethnal Green Academy - flew to Turkey together, before crossing the border into war-torn Syria earlier this year.
It is understood they were following Sharmeena Begum, another friend who travelled there in December.
Mosul Eye, a blogger in Iraq, revealed the girls had fled on May 2 through his Facebook page - set up 'to communicate what's happening in Mosul to the rest of the world, minute by minute from an independent historian inside Mosul'.
'Three girls, (Foreigners - British) married to ISIL militants, reported missing, and ISIL announced to all its check points to search for them. It is believed that those girls have escaped,' he wrote.
The blogger, who opposes ISIS and remains anonymous, has written in detail in both English and Arabic about the inner-workings of the group, their execution of civilians and casualties they suffer from coalition air-strikes.
In a later post he added: 'The latest info I got on them is they are still on the run, but still in Mosul, and ISIL is thoroughly searching for them and hasn't captured them yet.
'They are Brits, not immigrants, and they are very young teens (around 16 years old). That's all I have about them for now.'
At this time, Mosul Eye appears to be the only source reporting the girls' flight.
The blogger said on Tuesday evening - 10 days after the original post - that he was still unaware of their identities.
He said he didn't know what had happened to them after the initial search.
'We cannot confirm, as of yet, if those girls were the same trio mentioned in the British media, as their identities still unknown to us,' he wrote.
The Foreign Office was investigating who the trio might be, however.
A spokesman told the MailOnline: 'We are aware of reports and are looking into them.'
Home Secretary Theresa May today declined to say whether the trio would be allowed back into the UK if they managed to return.
Asked about reports that the teenage girls have gone missing in Iraq after being married to militants from the group, Mrs May would say only that attempts to return are dealt with on a 'case-by-case' basis.
Mrs May told ITV1's Good Morning Britain: 'Obviously there are young people who go to Syria, some of whom find that what they see there is not what they thought it was going to be.
'We look on a case-by-case basis, and people have come back - youngsters who have gone there and suddenly realise what a mistake they've made.'
She confirmed that some young Britons who went to Syria or Iraq to join IS have come back after becoming disillusioned.
In earlier postings Mosul Eye warns of IS carrying out mass searches of homes, looking for laptops, mobile phones, tablets and other devices, warning: 'Please delete all your browsing history from anything related to politics, ISI, adult content, music, movies, pro-government pages.
'Please spread this around. We might go MIA for a few days until this is over.'
IS are reportedly unpopular with much of the local population and appear to be increasing the terror in the city as their losses mount.
In his latest postings, on May 7, the historian behind Mosul Eye talks of IS militants plundering money from locals, whipping a young man 60 times for not closing his shop during prayer time and the public executions of civilians for minor transgressions of Sharia law.
He also details increasing casualties for IS from coalition air-strikes.