Authorities of 7 Division of Nigerian Army in Borno State, north-east Nigeria, on Saturday, released another batch of 125 Boko Haram suspects and handed them to the State Governor, Kashim Shettima, after being cleared of any involvement in terrorist activities.
The cleared suspects, according to military authorities in Maiduguri, were among the 254 arrested suspects on September 23, 2014 in various operations carried out in the southern part of the state.
Presenting the suspects to the State Governor, the Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, Col. Sani Usman, said that the cleared suspects have been found innocent of any terrorists activities.
He said that the 125 suspects were cleared among the 254 arrested Boko Haram suspects in various attacks and killings in Southern Borno Senatorial District, where the Sambisa Forest, is located.
"These cleared suspects being presented to you were, however, cleared by the military after a thorough investigations by the military of any alleged involvement or participation in terrorists activities in the recent attacks and killings experienced in Southern Borno state," the PRO said.
He also called on the people of Borno to continue to cooperate with the military by divulging useful information on how to end insurgency and other terrorist activities not only in Borno State but in the entire country.
Receiving the suspects, Governor Shettima said that it was an epochal event for over a 100 suspects to be released and absolved from any terrorist activities by the military.
"The gesture of the military will continue to build trust between the people and troops of 7 Division of Nigerian Army that are fighting terrorism in Borno State.
"We thank all the military officers and men for this historic event of releasing suspects that have nothing to do with insurgency or any terror activity here in Borno state," the Governor said.
He urged the released suspects to exhibit good behaviours in their respective towns and villages; and to also assist the military by giving useful information on how to end the insurgency.
The released suspects were given 20,000 naira each for transportation to their various destinations, as well as 10 yards of clothes.
This was the second release in the week as the military had earlier in the week released 42 suspects, among which were three foreigners from Burkina faso, Chad and Cameroon.