Football

Messi breaks 59 years old La Liga record

Lionel Messi finally came to terms with winnings ways again as he broke the much anticipated Telmo Zarra's record of 251 Liga goals.

The record has been untouched for 60 years, until Saturday, 22 of November, when 3 goals from Messi struck the record in two and set yet a new one.

messi record2The Azulgrana was all smiles in the night of the game that saw Barcelona trumped visiting Sevilla 5-1, to the delight of cheering fans. All Barcelona players on pitch showed their solidarity by throwing the four time footballer of the year up.

messi recordMessi was on Monday, hinting on possible Barcelona exit at the end of the season. But with Barca and Messi back in scoring ways, there must be a rethink. He has expressed his grattitude to fans through his Facebook page saying-

"When I scored this goal, I couldn't imagine I could break any record, let alone this one previously held by the great Telmo Zarra. I was only able to achieve this because of the support I have had from so many people during my time here and I would like to dedicate this achievement to you all. Thanks for always being with me. I would also like to dedicate this to the people who are no longer with us anymore. I will never forget you. Thank you everyone for standing with me!"

(He was referring to his first league goal)

With 253 goals and counting, Messi is expected to hold the record far longer than his predecessor Telmo Zarra.

7 Comments

7 Comments

1. Darlinton Omeh

November 22, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Not when Ronaldo is lurking behind and speeding towards him like a thunderbolt. The record will be broken next reason. CR7 is currently on 194 don’t forget

• Ejinwa Anthony

November 23, 2014 at 8:33 am

him being on 194 doesn’t change the fact that messi is still gonna hit more goals and his going to place the yard stick so far that CR7 will hustle for atleast 2 seasons….#winks

2. Samuel Nwite

November 22, 2014 at 10:12 pm

A year is enough for Messi to set another record that will take more than 60 years to be broken, even if CR7 is going to borrow from his premiership goals, he can’t catch the jet.

• Ejinwa Anthony

November 23, 2014 at 8:31 am

yes ohhh CR7 ain’t catching up, atleast not so soon sha

3. Ejinwa Anthony

November 23, 2014 at 8:30 am

messi at his game again….CR7 will have to wait alil longer to break this record messi is going to set..

4. ubesie chukwuebuka chidiogo

November 23, 2014 at 9:42 am

Messi is your day enjoy it to the fullest, I know Ronaldo will break the record but Messi will still be the all time top scorer, even ronaldo scores messi will score too. In a self-fulfilling prophecy, with the Argentine getting the golden touch! we all know now that Messi has past Telmo Zarra to stand as the definite all-time Liga goalscorer with 253 goals, Messi is better than Ronaldo….Let that sink in!!!!

• Ejinwa Anthony

November 23, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Now that’s what I want to hear, let honour be given to whom deserves it