In a recent competition the “10 ‘Non-Commandments’ Contest,” atheists were asked to offer modern alternatives to the famous ten commandments of Moses. Participants entered from around the world, and at the end, judges made their selections based on chosen criteria.
Here are the winning “Ten Non-Commandments” chosen by the judges as the winners:
1. Be open-minded and be willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.
2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not to believe what you wish to be true.
3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.
4. Every person has the right to control of their body.
5. God is not necessary to be a good person or to live a full and meaningful life.
6. Be mindful of the consequences of all your actions and recognize that you must take responsibility for them.
7. Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect them to want to be treated. Think about their perspective.
8. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations.
9. There is no one right way to live.
10. Leave the world a better place than you found it.