As if the least has not been heard of the Islamic sect Boko Haram, the group has struck again, this time around, not in any Nigerian towns but in Cameroon, killed many people and abducted about 60 others in Sunday attack. Police said.
The Islamist militants "burst into two villages in the Tourou area... torched houses and left with around 60 people. Most of them were women and children," a police officer told AFP.
He said the cross-border attack had "left some people dead" without giving an exact toll, adding that the Cameroon army had "launched an operation" in the wake of the assault.
This is the biggest attacks so far in Cameroon after some series of attacks in the recent months by the sect. The assault was launched after neighboring Chad deployed troops to combat Boko Haram both in Cameroon and Nigeria.
At the mean time, the Chadian troops are busy seeking to recapture the strategic city of Baga, on the shores of Lake Chad, which straddles the borders of Chad, Niger, Nigeria, and Cameroon, which the Islamic sect took over early this month.
Many say the assault on Baga could be Boko Haram's deadliest. Satellite pictures released by Amnesty and Human Rights Watch showed widespread destruction with around 3,700 buildings in Baga and nearby Doron Baga damaged or destroyed.
Amnesty says as many as 2,000 civilians may have been massacred, but Nigeria's army objected to the "sensational" claims and said that the death toll in Baga was about 150.
Some 400 Chadian army vehicles arrived in the Cameroonian border town of Kousseri on Saturday, and Chadian President Idriss Deby said they were "operational" as of Sunday.
Boko Haram last Monday launched an offensive against a Cameroonian military base in Kolofata, also in the far north of the country, in which 143 "terrorists" and one Cameroonian soldier were killed, according to Cameroon.