Test result from the laboratory of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) shows methanol poison caused the mystery deaths of the 23 individuals in Ode-Irele, Ondo State penultimate week.
According to the results of the test carried out at NAFDAC Laboratory in Lagos, the local gin (usually ethanol) consumed by the individuals contained a high concentration of the methanol poisonous substance.
The outcome of the test was disclosed by the Ondo State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Dayo Adeyanju while briefing reporters in Akure, the Ondo State capital on the latest development on the cause of the strange ailment that broke out in the town penultimate week.
Adeyanju told the reporters that the poisonous drink had killed 23 people so far while 10 others were still receiving treatment at the UCH, Ibadan and at the General Hospital in Ode-Irele.
The Commissioner, however, again ordered that sale and consumption of local gin otherwise called "Ogogoro" has been banned in the entire State until it is fully established that it does not contain methanol poison.
Traditionalists in the state had attributed the cause of death to desecration of Malokun shrine in the town by some individuals, a claim that triggered massive visits to the shrine by individuals with water and leaf to appease the gods.