Middle Back also known as the thoracic vertebrae is between the bottom of the neck and the top of the lumbar spine. Therefore any type of pain or discomfort found in this region is known as middle back pain.
The middle back is made up of spinal cord, spine, nerves, ligament and tendon which when irritated can lead to a serious injury. Thoracic back pain is not as common as lower back pain. It is mostly caused as a result of a serious injury in the spine due to poor posture, sport injury and muscle strain.
SEE ALSO: Upper Back Pain In Women And Causes
In most cases the pain may be mild or severe, in a severe case one may require a more specific pain management strategy while in a mild case that has lasted for more than 3 days. See your doctor because middle back pain if not properly taken care of can lead to disability or death especially when the spinal cord is affected.
SEE ALSO: Upper Back Pain In Men, Symptoms And The Cause
Symptoms of middle Back Bone
The exact symptoms of middle back pain always depend on the causes. Below are the common symptoms that accompany middle back pain.
- A burning or sharp pain on the spine
- Muscle tightness or stiffness.
- Redness or swelling of the back.
There are other serious life-threatening symptoms that require immediate medical care. Such symptom include;
- Numbness/weakness in your arms or legs
- weakness or loss of bowel or bladder
- Difficulty in breathing or shortness of breath.
Causes Of Middle Back Pain
- Overuse (Repetitive motion)
- Muscle strain, or injury to the muscles, ligaments, and discs that support your spine.
- Poor posture.
- Trauma as a result of car accident or sport injury.
- Pressure on the spinal nerves from certain problems, such as a herniated disc .
- A fracture of one of the vertebrae; this mostly occur when there is so much force on the spine.
- Osteoarthritis this is caused by the breakdown of cartilage that cushions the small facet joints in the spine.
- Myofascial this affects the connective tissue of a muscle or group of muscles.
- Osteoporosis; an inflammation of the bone that brittle and weaken the bones causing serious pain.
- Spinal Stenosis; This simply means the abnormal narrowing of the spinal cord. It occurs when the opening (spinal canal) through which the spinal cord runs become narrow allowing some tissues like bone, ligament and disc tissue to grow inside.
- Degenerative Disc Disease; this is the pain that occur on the back or neck when the disc in your spine breakdown or degenerate.it can also lead to arthritis or herniated disc.
Treatment of Middle Back Pain
There are many treatment for Middle back pain depending on how severe the symptoms are.
For mild to moderate back pain one can use;
- Over-the-counter pain medicines, such asacetaminophen (for example, Tylenol) and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (for example, Advil, Aleve, aspirin, and Motrin).
- Over-the-counter muscle relaxants, such as methocarbamol (for example, Methoxisal, Robaxin).
- Heat or ice; this help to reduce stiffness and pain.
- Exercise; this will help to stretch and strengthen the back muscles and also the use of Manual therapy , such as massage,mobilization, or spinal manipulation will help relieve the pains and reduce muscle tension.
But if your pain gets worse you need to see your doctor for prescription medicines like;
SEE ALSO: Lower Back Pain in Men, The Causes, Symptoms And Prevention
- Opiods (pain reliever)
- Antidepressants such as amitriptyline and duloxetine for chronic back pain.
- Steroid Shot, this help to reduce swelling and relieve pressure on nerves.
Finally, middle back pain can also be treated through surgery. Though it is not commonly used, but it has to be done when it seems to be the only option to save the victim.
SEE ALSO: Lower Back Pain In Women, Causes, Prevention And Treatment
Leave a Reply