Lionel Messi is currently the captain of the Argentine national team and plays as a forward for FC Barcelona. Messi is regarded as one of the greatest footballer of his generation and has won so many awards as a professional player both at club and International. Here are some other facts about Lionel Messi you didn’t know.
Full Names: Lionel Andres Leo Messi
Place of Birth: Rosario, Argentina
Date of Birth: June 24, 1987
12 Facts About Lionel Messi You Didn’t Know
1. Messi is the third of four children of Jorge Messi, a steel factory manager, and his wife Celia Cuccittini, who worked in a magnet manufacturing workshop.
2. After Ronaldinho departure he inherited his N0. 10 Barcelona jersey in 2008.
3. In 1998 lost his maternal grandmother and he was greatly affected by her death. Since then, as a devout Catholic, he has celebrated his goals by looking up and pointing to the sky in tribute of his grandmother.
4. At age 19 Messi established himself as one of the best players in the world during the 2006–07 campaign.
5. Messi rejected offer to join Spain national team.
6. Lionel Messi established himself among the world’s best players before age 20.
7. According to France Football, Messi was the world’s highest-paid footballer for five years out of six between 2009 and 2014; he was the first player to exceed the €40 million benchmark, with earnings of €41 million in 2013, and the €50–€60 million points, with income of €65 million in 2014.
8. Messi was among the Time 100 most influential people as published by Time, in 2011 and 2012.
9. Messi has his own charitable organisation, the Leo Messi Foundation, which supports access to health care, education, and sport for children.
10. Messi has known his partner Antonella Roccuzzo since he was 5-year-old but began dating her in 2008 when he was 20.
11. Messi father, Jorge, has been his agent since he was 14, and his oldest brother, Rodrigo, handles his daily schedule and publicity.
12. Messi shares his birthplace with the Argentinian revolutionary Che Guevera.